What is a Green Building & How Does it Benefit You?
Pollution has become a big issue in India. There are many things that contribute to poor environment. Apart from vehicles, some of the major sources of air pollution are construction activity and energy emissions from buildings. While pollution in Delhi makes the headlines, it is a serious concern across the country. This is where green buildings come in as they can play a significant role in reducing pollution and improving occupant health and lifestyle.
What is a Green Building?
Green building, or sustainable design, is the practice of increasing the efficiency with which buildings and their sites use energy, water, and materials, and of reducing impacts on human health and the environment for the entire lifecycle of a building. Green-building concepts extend beyond the walls of buildings and include site planning, community and land-use planning issues as well.
Why is a Green Building Important?
The growth and development of our communities has a large impact on our natural environment. The manufacturing, design, construction and operation of the buildings in which we live and work are responsible for the consumption of many of our natural resources.
A green building:
- Makes efficient use of land, materials, energy, and water
- Generates minimal or no waste
- Provides a healthy indoor environment for its occupants
- Restores, improve, or enhances the natural environment
Green buildings certified by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) results in energy savings of 40 – 50% and water savings of 20 – 30% compared to conventional buildings in India.
Benefits of a Green Building for the Occupants
Today’s new home buyer is looking for all the benefits of a green home:
- Comfort: Consistent temperature and improved comfort — that’s a benefit of a green home. A green home provides more insulation and keeps your home warmer in winters and cool in summers. Thus, reducing energy consumption.
- Excellent air quality: Pollution is a serious concern across the country. Breathing easier — that’s a benefit of a green home.
- Control: As per the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), Green buildings results in energy savings of 40 – 50% and water savings of 20 – 30% compared to conventional buildings in India. And that means peace of mind — another benefit of a green home.
- Peace and quiet: It’s another benefit of a green home.
As you can see, green building is something that everyone should really jump on to. You can cut down on your energy usage, save money, and make a big impact on the environment. You will also feel better about yourself when you go green!